Monday, July 4, 2011

What have I learned?

Oh My Gosh! This week has been a week from...............yeah you can fill in the blank. Trying to balance family life, school work, work, trying to find a place to live and in personal projects and stuff! It went from Monday to 4Th of July in about 20 minutes for me. However it was a fun week. We celebrated Jasmin's 3rd birthday and it was great we had so much fun.

I have been trying to catch up on school reading, trying to keep the house clean, and stay on top of everything. It is tough doing this all and doing this all with 2 toddlers running around the house. But school has been amazingly fun and hard. I have been learning a lot about how much I do not know about technology. I have learned how many great and wonderful technologies are available for learning and teaching. I never thought in a million years that I would 1) create a blog, but for school I did, 2) create a twitter account - which I still have yet to do and 3) that know how these things work will open up doors for employment. The one that I am still trying to figure out is the wiki thing. I have been reading about them and to my amazement they are useful, but I am still trying to figure out how they will work for me. They are used primarily as a teaching resource and even though I am working on my masters of education I do not really have a desire to become a teacher. The funny thing is that I have no idea what I really want to do when "I grow up". I just had a nagging feeling to get my masters. So here I am with my BA in health I have never taught a day in my life other than 6 and 7 year olds in church. I had fun teaching, but I am not sure it is a career that I want to have. The career that I want to have is a full time stay at home mom even if it is in a one room shanty.

So as I have been reading about wikis and what I know about twitter I have been racking my brain to think about how to incorporate them into my life and think like a teacher to use them for my mock class. I do not have an audience to test these things out on and I am not even sure I know what I am doing. However, I have learned at how much using a wiki can give a class a sense of ownership and they can actually apply themselves to what they are doing because they get to create a website of information that they have learned and researched and other people get to see it and not just a teacher! Wikis are still a little confusing to me, but I am sure that as I use them and start to create one than they will make more sense to me and I will see ways to incorporate them not into just classroom life, but into my personal life as well.

Signing off for now!!

Brendon Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment